Unrestricted egress traffic might lead to remote code execution
- GG_ID: GG_IAC_0016
- Severity: HIGH
- Complexity: LOW
- Categories: NETWORK
- Providers: Azure
- Potential data exposure: True
- Visible in logs: False
- User interaction required: True
- Privileges required: False
Having open egress enables, or worsens, existing remote code execution vulnerabilities.
- The log4j vulnerability relies on having open egress to download a malicious java class from a remote host.
- An attacker with access to a basic shell could download harmful binaries.
- Remote code execution.
Identify which remote ips the asset needs to connect to, and implement the adequate CIDR rules. Note that assets in the same virtual network can always access each other.